Monday, January 21, 2013

Killing Time

I like running, music, and sex. Not necessarily in that order.  But a knee injury has sidelined me for a few weeks which has really put a damper on things. 

I was planning to start training to run a half marathon in May.  That's not gonna happen. I'm hoping that I can start running again in the near future and now have my sights set on finding a half marathon in the fall.  Also, my sexy escapades have been limited to sharing naughty pics, steamy sexting and way too much time perving sex blogs.

So I'm being creative about ways to keep myself occupied. When I was younger, I used to spend hours lounging around just listening to music. Not doing anything else - not doing laundry, not making dinner, not even exercising.  Just laying on the couch or on my bed, letting the music surround me, feeling the power of lyrics that connected with my feelings/life/situation. But my busy grown-up life doesn't usually allow me time to do this. Except recently, I've gotten to indulge in several long listening sessions.  I've been enjoying Soundgarden, Audioslave,  Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, The Gaslight Anthem, Radiohead, X, Rolling Stones, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Adele (when I need a good cry).

I love to read and I actually went to the library and checked out some real books (instead of just reading sex blogs). I got:

Explosive Eighteen - Janet Evanovich - I've read all of this series. This one was so-so, not enough action with Ranger or Morelli, in my opinion.

A Wanted Man - Lee Child - This is a Jack Reacher novel and I've read most of these too.  Can't imagine Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher so I'm not going to see the movie.  Haven't  started this one yet.

Five Against One: The Pearl Jam Story - Kim Neely - I was looking for Neil Young's new autobiography (Waging Heavy Peace) and ran across this, I like their music so thought I'd read it. Thought it was totally mesmerizing. 

Weight Loss Boss - David Kirchhoff - The CEO of Weight Watchers.  Another impluse read from the auto/biography section. Motivation, please!

Little Bee - Chris Cleave - Was in the "Buzz Book" section (not making this up). The Washington Post review said this book "will blow you away."  Haven't read it yet, so we'll see.



3 comments:

  1. Injuries suck. My wife is recovering from a running injury, resulting in a torn calf muscle and some hip stress. It is a real problem when trying to be amorous ... and she cries out in pain.

    Keep reading and writing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't sat around and just listened to music in ages, I should make time to do that more often! And Neil Young has an auto-bio out? How did I miss that? I'll need to find that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pearl Jam were the headline act at the first Music Festival I attended in my second youth. I was fifty years old and stood on the front rail watching a band I really hadn't come across before.
    What
    an
    act

    They were, as the kidz would say, awesome.

    Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher? In his fucking dreams!

    ReplyDelete